Wednesday, August 25, 2010

learning to run, step 1: learn to walk

So one time a couple of months ago, I saw a bus come early up ahead and ran to catch it.  I caught the bus at a traffic light.  But when I mentioned this offhand, everybody (= mom & dad) rightfully flipped out over it.  If I have any other head trauma, it's going to be worse than last time, way worse.  So have said all my docs since day 1.  (that must have been a nice welcome to my parents at my hospital, "Where's our son, he was just in a car wreck"... "He's in a coma in ward 4, and if he ever takes another head trauma, it's going to be way worse."  Okay, so maybe not since day one)  And I'm ever so slowly realizing that if I miss the bus, there are these things called "taxis".
But anyway, I made it a goal to get into running form.  So that's something we're working on much at my gym, A.S.I. (attending a gym owned by the hospital allows you to fool with such nonsense... safely)  We spent a whole day just on how the foot hits, rolls, and comes up.  Apparently, I've been doing it wrong the last few years, and would've had major skeletal system "issues" later in life.  "You're telling me I can't even walk right?"  (and I pay them for such abuse)
And on top of the ongoing work at A.S.I., I'm going to start training at the FIRST institute (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training).  (A.S.I. set that up) ("Furman" sound familiar?  That was my first college, back in the last century-- oh god does that make me feel old)  FIRST is a program designed to train folks to run marathons-- huh, maybe, that's an excellent goal, but I've got a lot of ground to cover first.  (wait, I've got a lot of ground to cover before I start running to cover a lot of ground?)  I showed up for my evaluation last week.  I was told to meet with a Dr. Moss.  I was like "Dr. ... Ray Moss?"  Weird how little snippets of memory come back.  I don't remember it, but Jeff 1.0 must have taken a class from him.
It turned out to be Dr. Ray Moss indeed, and he greeted us, and said "I already know your medical history, let's get down to work."  After watching me on a treadmill for about 10 minutes, he had my number PEGGED.  Wow.  Knees weren't coming up enough, right arm didn't swing.  And a lot more other stuff I can't think of right now.
He really brought home "Gotta learn to walk right before you can run."  So... we shall see... he's building a hanging harness for me to walk/run in while my gym and I try to mold my gait to make it look pretty.  But this is pretty sweet-- FIRST has never done therapeutic work before, apparently my gym sweet-talked 'em into it!


(by the way, just so I know folks are listening to these ramblings, please shoot me an email if you read this, I'm pretty sure you just gotta hit Reply)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/26/2010

    I read the First articel - congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network