Sunday, October 3, 2010

I am *so* on the right path in school, finally

So to gain more experience with young adults (any experience, really), I've been volunteering in my local church's children's ministry once every 3 weeks.  This morning was my shift, and I learned that the early child development path is the right path for me to be on.  We were mostly just doing playtime activities, the boys congregating to the Lego's, and the girls flocking to draw colorful pictures. (a good portion of which were portraits of yours truly, and as long as I hold my arms up in a Y, they were accurate)  But I actually got to teach two concepts:

  1. forgiveness: one boy was telling me about how yesterday, he went to an orchard to pick apples.  He said someone meant to throw an apple into the basket, but it hit him in the head.  He said "But I got 'em back-- I threw one right at their head."  So we had a talk about how they didn't mean to, and how forgiving is better than losing a friend.  He finally agreed, but I don't know that it sunk in.
  2. This one I do know sunk in-- sharing.  I heard a commotion in the corner, and when I came to investigate, three boys were all simultaneously saying "He took my Lego man."  So we discussed how with only one Lego man, and three kids who want him, the only way this is going to work is if they share.  To my total amazement, they all agreed.  So I said "Okay, so I'll set my watch timer for one minute, and Trip will get the Lego man for that whole minute.  Then when my watch goes off, Trip will give the Lego man to William for a whole minute.  Then when my watch goes off, William will give the Lego man to Korbin."  And, surprisingly again, they agreed.  And I figured I'd have to be persistent in saying "The watch has gone off, so..." but no.  The watch would start beeping, I'd put my hand where they could hear it and mostly without direction, they'd find the right child and hand off the Lego man.  How cool is that?  
So where I learned recently with the sitting-by-the-roadside incident that people are generally good, I'm beginning to learn that it's somewhat innate, at least in these kids.  Or maybe it was more that once we had a plan or a rule, they stuck to it... whatever, it worked.  It was a good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network