Monday, January 4, 2010

the facts of life AND the facts of almost-death

You know, at lunch the other day at the Flat Rock Grill (thank goodness that sweetness is right on a bus line), I overheard two guys at the table next to me chatting about health insurance. Since health insurance is playing such a large role in my life, my ears perked up, "Huh!" I thought, and when one fellow said outright "long term disability's a sucker bet, I mean, look at the figures", I cut in with an "Excuse me, but..." and laid out what it's done for me. It allows me to afford an apartment next to the bus station, and let me tell you how key THAT is to my regaining independence, and let me tell you how key *THAT* is to my sense of self-esteem & self-worth. I made sure I ended with "thank goodness I had long-term disability insurance" to these 2 guys.

They were taken aback and one gave me a look that ever so subtly said "Yeah... I'LL never need it". Please, be smarter than the general public. It's a LOT like gambling in Vegas-- sure, you might squeak a lucky night out, but TRUST ME, the house wins in the long run. Which means yeah, you probably won't use it, but the price for not having it is so dire, don't even go there, girlfriend, nuh uh uh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network