Saturday, May 28, 2011

I am getting SO MUCH better, physically-- FIRST RUN! (outside my gym)

   More physically fit even than Jeff 1.0 ever was!  So I've been working at my gym 1-on-1 with a personal trainer for months on the ability to run.  Yesterday morning, she cleared me to run outside of her supervision, and this morning I moved from my brand-new walking group (that I've only walked with once) into the running group!  YAY! SUCCESS!  (it was luck beyond luck that I found this running group, as the ladies in charge are personal trainers almost exactly like the ones at my gym)  I'm just excited to be running with the public now!
   And, just so y'all know that this is out there, just spreadin' the word, I had my Android cell phone in a camera bag I strapped around my waist, so that I could record the workout with the free CardioTrainer app.  That was useful since as I ran, it was talking to me through an earpiece, telling me my current speed and distance covered so far.  And it shows me stats about my run afterward, such as total distance, time, calories burned, average speed (even graphs my speed), and even plots my route on a Google Map!  I think it's cool, but then again, I'm aware I'm a major dork-- I like anything that can be quantified in numbers.  Back to the run, I would run until I thought I needed a break, I'd walk for a bit, I'd go back to running, then walk, etc. etc.  But the cool thing was that I stayed right with the group!  HECK YEAH!

And then another first this afternoon-- I took a bus up to my old Furman University campus to watch the Greenville Scottish games.  That's significant in my world since I think it's the first time I've done something outside the usual rigamarole completely on my own!  (side note: the bus even goes to the Furman campus now partly because of me-- about four semesters ago I was attending school at a community college campus (right behind the Furman campus) that wasn't served by the community bus-- I complained long, loudly, and finally got a face-to-face meeting with the right Transit Authority people in charge, and now the bus heads that way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network