Saturday, July 16, 2011

another quote from Stephen Jay Gould's 'The Panda's Thumb'

I just liked this paragraph so much, had to share:
     "Science contains few outright fools.  Errors usually have their good reasons once we penetrate their context properly and avoid judgement according to our current perception of "truth."  They are usually more enlightening than embarrassing, for they are signs of changing contexts.  The best thinkers have the imagination to create organizing visions, and they are sufficiently adventurous (or egotistical) to float them in a complex world that can never answer "yes" in all detail.  The study of inspired error should not engender a homily about the sin of pride; it should lead us to a recognition that the capacity for great insight and great error are opposite sides of the same coin-- and that the currency of both is brilliance."
     So now, that opens the door such that when I turn in my take-home test this week, I can remark to my prof Mrs. S. that "My wrong answers-- which I doubt you'll find any-- are merely subtle pointers to the fact that I'm a genius.  ;-)"  And then since I want an A, ;-) ;-) ;-) for good measure.  I might just stand there ;-)ing until she has to go home.  Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network