Friday, July 17, 2009

ASI

So I've got a new place of therapy. Well, really, post-therapy training. The ASI-- Acceleration Sports Institute. I'm one of the first patients-- well, definitely the first brain-injury patient, possibly even the first non-professional athlete to use it. The story is that dad saw this place mentioned in a hospital magazine article, so we went and toured on 7/16... /09... 2009. What it is: it's a brand-new facility (open only 5 months). It was even just purchased by the hospital system (so I volunteered to have the nickname 'Lab Rat'). It's not even open to the public yet, but plans to be. When we toured, it was full of professional athletes who were training there, by invite only. They have the latest technology in workout machines created specifically for professional athletes. And they monitor your progress by computer individually. There is only one center like this in the country, it's IN Greenville, and athletes travel from all over to train here, even Europe. Wanna see who? Click here & (kinda oddly) choose 'who trains here'. One of the owners is John Smoltz, and if you follow baseball, you might know of him. He was very nice.

Now what differentiates this from regular therapy is that they focus on speed, not strength. Previous therapies have focused on making me functional. (Yes, I can now make bead necklaces where I couldn't before, thank you, you may go now) So we are going to get right to work on my fast-twitch muscles. And those need work-- if you've seen me, you know that all of my movements are slow and guarded. Those are some of the reasons I don't drive right now.

I'll start next week. So let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network