Monday, November 8, 2010

I'm liking smallish towns (like this one) more & more

So it's been brewing in the back of mind for a long time now to maybe just cut my losses and move to a bigger town. When we were in Hotlanta for summer break this year, I learned that it's possible for public transportation not to suck-- ooh, alright, let's look more into Atlanta... and I found they don't have anywhere near the same level of "green things" as Greenville.  (can't believe I didn't figure that one out)  It's a concrete jungle-- yech.


But today I got many reminders one right after the other about why I live in a "small" town. (population ~62K)  


It started when I boarded the bus after being at my gym this afternoon.  Saydet (the Haitian bus driver) didn't start the bus going forward until I was seated, which I was very appreciative of, especially since I was moving somewhat slow and sat in the back row.  (can you tell I'm in the new habit of constantly introducing myself to strangers?)  I was writing a note to myself to talk to the transit authority about the fact that not all of their drivers do this-- some start the bus rolling before you sit down, which is "hold on to whatever you can find quickly"-- grrr.  As I was writing my note to myself to recommend Saydet to his bosses as a good driver, someone else boarded the bus and Saydet started the bus rolling forward before this last passenger could sit down.  Huh, OK, never mind about this note saying that it's good that Saydet always waits-- apparently, he only does it for me.  So when we ended up downtown, I went up front and asked Saydet, and that's correct, he does just wait for me, as when it was just me & him on a bus a few months ago, I told him my background, as I'm wont to do as a "don't drink & drive" warning.  And that's why he waits to start the bus moving until I sit down.  Alright, cool!  And it's actually useful that I'm going around preaching my tale of almost-sorrow.


Then, walking home from the bus station, I passed Sushi Murasaki and saw Natalie through the window.  Jeff 1.0 knew Natalie somewhat well when she used to work at Barley's Pizzeria and I would spend more than a little time there.  I stopped in to say hi, and a guy at the counter said "Hi Jeff".  I was like "I either know you or have met your doppelgänger, as you look familiar, but..."  Turned out I do know him, it was Wes, manager of the Sticky Fingers downstairs, who I've nicknamed Smith & Wes. (think guns)  I asked if it'd be OK to take a decaf drink from the coffee shop next-door into his restaurant across the street-- "Yes?  OK, great, thanks.  I really want to avoid caffeine, I don't drink sugar, and I just don't want water right now."


I walk into the coffee shop, Liquid Highway, and Julia, a barista I know fairly well, says "Hi Jeff.  I think this is your hat you must have left here before."  YES IT IS, thanks, been looking for that.  So then I take my decaf sugar-free sweetness to dinner at Sticky Fingers.
The guy who brings my food out is Gary, who used to work at Barley's and knew Jeff 1.0 very well.  So we chat for a bit.

Then I had just finished my dinner when a man pops around the corner and says "Hi Jeff."  Turned out to Fred, a local pastor I know from the coffee shop, and we've had a few spirituality discussions.  And as I walked back through the coffee shop after dinner on my way home, I stopped to have a chat with Fred.


So a small town may not ever get really good public transportation, but in Atlanta would I run into SIX people I know decently, in the space of a few hours?  Greenville wins.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/01/2010

    Jeff,

    Your small town story was great. It is good to know that the downtown merchants and the Kawanis club are looking out for you. I gather by the story that you still aren't cooking. I recommend cooking. It is creative and can be very satisfying. Plus you can offer to cook for that wonderful woman out there who is looking for you.

    Candace Seay Folks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey look now, microwaving something *DOES* count as cooking. Before: inedible & cold. After: edible & hot. VoilĂ . Need I say more. If you're still a doubting Thomas, Google for define:cooking and tell me which one doesn't apply to the microwave. (well, 3 of 'em don't, but ignore those) I hear that Jeff 1.0 loved the book A Man, A Can, A Plan, but I've... evolved.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network