Monday, November 22, 2010

TODAY WAS A GOOD, NAY, A *GREAT* DAY

     So, months ago, I randomly made it a goal to get into running form.  (I keep wanting to say "back into running form", then I realize it has been over a decade since I ran anywhere, except to the restroom)  True, I haven't run since high school cross country and track & field days, but hey, I don't want to just "get better"-- it's my goal to raise the "disabled" standards, to push myself to see what I'm capable of.  Sure, I could have had this goal before the wreck, nothing was stopping me, but I didn't care enough to even make it a goal; now, I'm going to show the world what is possible.


     Back in August, I got hooked up through my gym with Dr. Moss at Furman University, to talk about getting back into running form-- I mean into running form, see what I mean about this "back into" funny business?  (back in August, I was like "Dr. Moss?  Dr. Ray Moss?"  I musta had him for health and exercise science 101 in '97-- I'm just tickled pink I remembered that one insignificant detail)  He videotaped me on a treadmill, closely analyzed my gait, and said I should work with my gym more and come back and see him when they feel I'm more ready.  And by "they", I really mean one personal trainer, Ginnie Conley, who was in school for EIGHT YEAR to get this job, and it shows-- I've been working with her two days a week for many months almost purely on my gait and that clearly shows: I hyper-extend my right knee much less, and I have less dorsi-flexion going on with my right toes-- you follow? <snicker, snicker, I'm just repeating words that I think I overheard>

     So the day that Ginne felt we should revisit Dr. Ray Moss was today.  Ginnie got leave from work to meet me & my folks at Furman this afternoon, where we met with Dr. Ray Moss again.  He had me do some warm-up stretches, then just lightly jog about 30 yards and back several times to observe where I'm at now.  HOLY COW.  Dr. Ray Moss said he'd never expected me to do some of the things I can do now, and some things he did think I'd be able to do, but he just thought it would take much longer.  And the best news was that everything I have left to work on, he says is definitely correctable.

     He was very impressed with what we've accomplished thus far, and he works with world-class athletes!  Remember, I don't want to just "get better"...

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,
    Sounds like every day, in every way, you just keep getting better and better.
    I think God must have plans for you.
    I look forward to seeing what he has in store and what you accomplish next.
    Keep up the good work!
    Always rooting for you --
    Jeff
    Jeff Knox
    Manassas, VA

    ReplyDelete

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network