Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oh this is gonna be such the right career, working with kids

This afternoon was my first day volunteering at the Frazee Center-- man was that wild.  At some point I found myself helping one child.  First we read a book together, each of us taking one page.  Then it was time for his math homework.  I gotta admit-- I was struggling at first.  I would look at the problem, and just know the answer, but have no clue how I got there, or how to explain it.
Me: "Um... uhh... no that's not right..."
Him: "Don't you know math?  Did you flunk out of high school?"
Me: "I didn't-- three years ago, I took a brain injury.  I really thought I could do this stuff, I just aced a college course in elementary math."  (yeah, I can do it, just didn't have to explain how to do it)  Then after mulling the problem over for awhile, it suddenly clicked.  And we cruised through the rest of that problem.  The next one, he turned and asked the volunteer sitting on his other side a question.
Me: "I can do this, I got this now."
Him: "Yeah, I was just giving you a break."

HA!  Fair, thanks.  And honest.  I am so gonna love working with kids-- sorry, "young adults."  And then, as I walked home (after a stop at the bus station), I walked into the local gelato store to ask a question, and immediately heard "Hi Jeff!"  (from a child)  "Um, hi, sorry, do I know you?"  "Yeah, you just helped me with my math homework."  "OH, hi K.J.!"  (he wasn't the only child I'd been talking to at Frazee, and my brain was still talking to the transit authority)  But it's just cool to see your pupils elsewhere!  Yeah, I'm gonna enjoy a career with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network