Monday, June 27, 2011

ha! spell-check foibles

So I'm typing a paper that explains how I modified a toy to make it more accessible a child with special needs.  I super-glued some wine bottle tops to pieces of a puzzle, to make them more easily grasped.  I'm typing my paper into an OpenOffice text document.  (in case you don't know, the OO.org suite is a free replacement for the Microsoft tools to make text documents, spreadsheets, drawings, you name it.  Since it's open-source, free equals awesome)  Now the reason I chose to use the word grasped above is because I originally wanted to say grippable.  But I can't figure out if that's a real word or not-- although it's used on the internet (which proves nothing), two different programs are flagging it as a spelling error, and I don't have the cell phone number of any English professors.  But what's amusing is that when I right-clicked grippable in OpenOffice to see what suggestions it had to replace my wayward spelling, it gave me these options:

  • shippable
  • flippable
  • graspable
  • trappable
  • undroppable
  • republican
Ha!  I was with them right up until republican-- wha?  Huh?  Is this some democratic computer programmer's sneaky way of telling me that they think republicans need to get a grip?  I'm so confused I'm going to lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network