Sunday, October 30, 2011

running-- Spinx Run Fest

So I've become a runner.  It started months ago when I found out a running store that I can walk to has a group Saturday mornings for those who aren't actively runners but want to change that.  So every run isn't a full-out sprint, but designed for those who aren't in peak condition.  Like doing 3 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking, etc, etc.  Been getting into running form with them for months.  My first "race" was a couple of months ago, the running store's "Nike fun run", untimed.  (except for on my watch-- you gotta know, man!  well, I do anyway)  My time there was 30:20-- not bad at all for a "first" go at it. (in quotes since I ran track & field and also cross country in high school, but you might say a lot has happened since, so let's call it a "new first", or a "re-first")  Then, as a smart man once said "From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running!"

That was a good warm-up for the Greenville 5k rally run the following week.  My only real goal here was to improve my time, I don't care how much, I just want to show improvement.  Right before the start, they were telling us the route to run and said 'Turn around at the monument."  I was thinking "What monument?  Oh, never mind, I sure won't be first so it's not my problem."  But I'm running, walking, running and I get to a place where I can go at least 4 different directions-- and, UH OH, there's no one in front or back of me, we were SO spread out by then.  "This isn't going according to plan..."  So I just kinda hung out & waited for the next runner, who was as baffled as I was.  Eventually we decided we were at "the monument" and turned around to run back the way we had come. Lucky-- turned out we guessed exactly right!  And at a time of 30:15, I met my goal!  I was strutting my stuff that day-- "I can get somewhat lost and still run a faster time!  Oh yeah, I'm bad, I'm bad..."

Then about a month later was a 5k to benefit the Gateway House at Furman, my first college.  It was kinda nice to run familiar ground.  By this time I had bought a belt that holds water bottles securely, it's made for running.  So I'm cruising through my old stomping grounds, feeling pretty good about my time, and I know I'm in the last 200 yards, so kick it up a notch!  Then one of the bystanders yells to me "Hey, you dropped a water bottle!"  Wha-- oh, my arm knocked it off & I didn't notice... dang, well, let's turn around, run about 10 yards the wrong way, pick it up and then sprint like my life depends on it!  And hey, my time there was 30:13!  So I was feeling my oats that day... "I can run the wrong way and still beat my best time!" (barely, but it counts!)  I think this was the one where I was kinda griping that I only improved by 2 seconds, and my gym trainer Ginnie was like "Jeff, 4 years ago, you were in a coma."  Yeah, okay, there is that, good point, but doesn't deflect my drive to excel.

And then a month after that, yesterday actually, was another 5k.  I didn't think it would be a big deal, they've all been somewhat small affairs to benefit some local charity so far.  BUT OH NO, this was a big deal-- the Spinx Run Fest!  (and now that I think about it, why did I think Spinx was just some local charity?)  It wasn't just a 5k, it was a 5k, a half-marathon, and a full marathon... holy cow.  But okay, cool, I'm very familiar with the 5k race course as it's all downtown on routes I've walked many times before.  I didn't think much about it.  Then I get to the race and discover they've blocked off Main Street for a good ways!  Whoa, this is a big deal!  I didn't even think about where it's gonna end.  So I'm running, thinking "Don't get lost!  Don't drop a water bottle!  Don't be a doofus!"  (and I met the first two goals! :-))  I couldn't get lost, there were so many runners (over 800), and I skootched my water bottles around to the back where my arms wouldn't hit them.  It was my first clean race!  YES!  Goal met!  And the ending I hadn't thought about wrapped around the outside of the baseball stadium and had us enter and circle the field, huh, cool.  And this being a big deal race, as you crossed the finish line there was a large clock above it.  So my official time here was 29:57!!!  Alright, not dropping things and not getting lost results in my largest improvement yet, 16 seconds!  I'll take that!  Now I thought at first that I had improved by well over a minute, but when I got home and discovered it was only 16 seconds, I was like "Ah, who cares..."  That's why it didn't appear on this blog.  But after I've slept on it, heck, given Ginnie's point of view, I'll take anything-- but improvements are always nice, and it was my largest improvement yet.  And it was nice that my folks came over and brought Riley, as both as I ran by at the start and just after I finished, I got a howl of pleasure.  Exactly, well said, Ri.
This is how I'm beating my coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network