Monday, March 30, 2009

Vocational Rehab, day #6 (today was a good day)

So today had some pretty interesting parts. I asked another patient what he did before he became an inmate here, and he said he was a systems analyst. Since I was like "Uh?", it turns out that that actually means computer programmer! (maybe that was -my- official title) After he told me which programming languages he worked in, I was like "Oh yeah! COBOL & Fortran! I learned about those in my history of computing class!" (he wrote code 40 years ago then moved on)

So then I asked if he was trying to get back into it, and he said a key thing: he's really here to learn what his strengths are NOW. That rings SO TRUE. Good point indeed. It's so odd that I've known for MONTHS that's what they do here, and it never truly sank in until he said that. They're finding out what I'm good at NOW-- forget my schooling & training (since I partly have). I told my "success coach" this afternoon that I actually feel kinda lucky to be here. I mean, where else would you have a whole center full of trained professionals learning about you in order to recommend career paths that you might enjoy? I'm feeling now like every college freshman should get into a car wreck and go through a program like this one!

So I predict that they let me graduate early with a certificate that says "Strengths: handsome, humorous, witty. Recommend mini-golf as your day job, stand-up comic & gigolo as extra-income activities. Highly recommend ensuring only happily married women are around when you take off your shirt at the pool." (I'm ONLY KIDDING... I'm not 100% full of myself; last count was at 99.999%)


I forget if I've blogged the amazing juggler before, so in case I haven't:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4776181634656145640&ei=f1XRSbnjKqC0rQLGo9HbBA&q=juggle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network