Saturday, October 24, 2009

god I love this town (& I went to Skunkfest)

So I was all confused about where to go live since nothing's really holding me here, and got a lease here in Gvegas that I could get out of if I decided this ain't the town for me. Now: YEAH RIGHT, I AM STAYING! Life is SO sweet in this town! Today I took a bus down to the zoo (don't know why I took the bus), did my schoolwork there, and during study breaks, went to go watch the hey, hey, they're the monkeys, and people say they monkey around. (don't get that kinda odd reference?) After taking in the zoo action, I figured I'D WALK HOME (how cool is this?). There's a paved walking trail that runs by the zoo and also the park a few blocks from my apartment. But very shortly after leaving the zoo, the trail split into two, and I was thinking "Uh oh... which way?" So I asked a stranger, and he said "Main Street this way, dog park that way." "Dog park?!? Cool, I've been wanting to figure out where that is." So I went down there, and it's slick since it's a fenced-in area to let your dog off the leash. Then I walked home on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, which follows the Reedy River & passes by or crosses by bridge over at least three waterfalls. About a 30 minute walk (31:34) from the zoo to my hallway at a brisk(ish) pace. And I got to stop on the way and take in the rock quarry garden. (yes, I paused my stopwatch, goodness you're picky)

So overall, yeah, our public transit might leave plenty to be desired, but you can have this town when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. (Well, to be on the safe side, from my slightly chilled, barely bruised & definitely not bleeding fingers)


And I haven't said anything about it here yet, but one week ago (the 17th), I attended the Albino Skunk bluegrass festival (actually now called the Grand Skunk Opry), which has been a staple of my musical diet for years (partly 'cause part of the crew that runs it is my last boss & his wife, both pals of mine). We volunteered our time (for free tickets, um, "YEAH"), and my "work" at one point was hiding Easter eggs for the kids. Gosh, that's such a rough life. (And I learned: with kids, you're never as sneaky as you think you are; 1 hour to hide 'em, 3 minutes to find 'em)
And then, in the evening, I ran into a past acquaintance that J2.0 hasn't seen yet (I don't think), and had a whale of a time catching up. (I'm gonna say 'dolphin of a time' from now on, 'cause when have you ever known a whale to have fun? And Flipper is, well, Flipper-- he had so much fun, they had to televise it) All in all, a GREAT day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network