Monday, December 14, 2009

My story STARTS to hit the news

So... this is in the VERY EARLY stages, but this could become big. We all know that my story is fairly moving & touching-- I mean, here I am trying so very hard to do the right thing, maybe even save somebody's life, and I almost die for it.
So this was unexpected, but some lady who works for a hospital publication came by and watched my workout today, and then right after, my folks & I sat down for a chat about things with her. Now she knows the true story of what happened to me. She was very moved. She's going to try to push this story to publication in many actual newspapers before the New Year's Eve drunk-fest. She even mentioned that it is very probable this story will go out on the A.P. wire. MY STORY -COULD- BECOME NATIONAL!

A guy who works for the hospital, their head of I.T., was at one of my speeches, and thought "Huh, if this gym has done this much good for this brain injury patient, they might do me some good." (He's afflicted with Parkinson's disease, and if you don't know my history with that, my beloved grandfather Papa waged a war with Parkinson's for years) Well, help him it has, as he started attending A.S.I., and told my folks today that he has already stopped taking L-dopa!

THAT'S HUGE! At first, this gym was used only by professional athletes, but because of my successes, it's opening doors into total other lines of thought so that they're now serving other populations, including childhood obesity sufferers, breast cancer patients, diabetes patients, and (maybe, eventually, hopefully) the Wounded Warrior project. The Wounded Warrior project would hopefully someday provide means for soldiers who've suffered injuries, even brain injuries like mine, to travel to this facility to get stronger.

And I feel like I should throw a few words in about why this program is so good for us brain-injured folks. NO DOUBT that this program serves "normal" folks very well. But for us brain injuries, it's astounding. The trainers are very good at their jobs, but also the machines are incredibly cool. What's so cool about them is that you don't set how many pounds you wanna push around (free-weights are scary since I'd probbly hurt myself), but with these machines, the resistance you feel to the movement you supply is directly proportional to the speed at which you push. (huh?) In layman's terms, the slower you push, the easier it is, and the faster you push, the harder it is. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS GYM: as long as you push as hard as you can, it will be just that-- exactly as hard as you can.

So, in an incredibly weird way, this almost-deadly car-wreck/coma event was the best thing to ever happen to me! (and there's so many other reasons why that's true) Look at all these folks who are getting help now, because of me, that might not have otherwise! WOW. Didn't see this coming two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network