Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Food, Inc." is making me a bearded hippie

Already got the beard, time to become a hippie. (who showers) (every dad-gummed month) (you think I'm kidding around) (I am-- I kinda look forward to my annual shower, kinda)  ;-) ... :-)

WHOA.  I just watched the indie film Food, Inc.  WHOA AGAIN.  I'm never gonna eat a fast-food hamburger ever again.  Any food that comes with a slight risk of death is OFF the menu; since it will happen to somebody and it ain't gonna be me.  For the Americans, you really have to see this. (Chad & Janet, Brits probably don't care; Uncle Jim, you'll come home from Cambodia someday... probably)

In very brief, it's a behind-the scenes look at America's fast-food-production industry-- beef, chicken, etc.  It's what our "he who does it cheapest, wins" system has produced.  I useda think democracy was the greatest system ever, but what you will find out will scare the ever-loving crap out of you.  Like the story of Kevin, a 2 year old who ate a fast-food hamburger and died 13 days later, prompting Kevin's Law, which has yet to be passed. (show support for the bill in Congress)  And it's sadly amusing that the food-processing mega-corporation Monsanto that the movie mercilessly goes after has made their own web page in a feeble half-hearted defense.  I say it's feeble since their rebuttal says this: "Throughout this film, Food, Inc.:"

  • "Demonizes American farmers and the agriculture system responsible for feeding over 300 million people in the United States."  UM NO, I don't even think we were watching the same movie... "demonizes American farmers"???  Yeah, I'm sorry, it's just that I have a brain.  No, the movie demonizes YOU-- nice friggin' try.
  • "Presents an unrealistic view of how to feed a growing nation while ignoring the practical demands of the American consumer and the fundamental needs of consumers around the world."  'Blah blah blah blah' is what my ears hear, but my eyes see your lips saying: we want more profits, and not recognizing that is just "unrealistic."  Now, they do have a valid point about the demands of the American consumer, but for me, that stops right now.  I found out tonight from other members of the audience about how to get all kinds of locally grown foods and also reminded that we have a farmer's market-- oh, right, I saw that once and it slowed me down on my way to McDonald's.
How can you see this?  DVD or Netflix (follow the links).  Do it, trust me.  Maybe have the neighborhood pitch in to get one copy, and throw a neighborhood-party to watch it.  You really are gonna-- or oughta-- appreciate it.  I just wouldn't, hypothetically, let anyone hypothetically named Isaac (who's hypothetically 2.5 months old) grow up on fast food.  Do hamburgers come in baby bottles yet?  "Protect our future"?  This is me doing my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network