Thursday, January 20, 2011

... followed by yet another filled-to the rafters but AWESOME day

What made today so great?  It was my first class in the early childhood development program that involved actual early children developing-- the first lab class.  This morning was the classroom part where we discussed do's & don't's, followed by a break of a few hours, then the actual lab with actual children-- the first time I've interacted with kids after 2 semesters building up to this.

Man that was a blast-- it ended up mostly being "Just play with the kids on our very cool playground"-- and seeing as how I'm 3.5 again, I CAN DEFINITELY DO THAT.  It was an absolute joy.

BUT THE COOLEST PART OF TODAY-- NAY, THE DECADE-- WAS WHEN WE HAD JUST GONE OUTSIDE.  The children were still putting on their jackets, and one girl tapped my leg and asked "Would you help me zip my jacket?"  "Of course, sure!  Here..."  <I try, and my ataxia acts up and my left hand shakes so much I cannot complete the task, can't even get the zipper started>  "I'm sorry sweetie, my left hand shakes so much that I can't do this, let's find another adult to help."
She looked at me, this 4 or 5 year old, and said very matter-of-factly, "Yes you can."  So then I just had to give it the ol' college try... and I did it no sweat! THAT WAS SO AWESOME FOR SO MANY REASONS!!!  THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME A CRUCIAL LESSON THAT I NEEDED!  THAT JUST FILLED MY HEART WITH JOY-- SHE HAD ENOUGH CONFIDENCE IN ME THAT IT JUST WORKED!  HOW INCREDIBLY COOL IS THAT?!?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Jeff! What a great story & smart little girl. You CAN do it.

    ReplyDelete

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network