Wednesday, January 19, 2011

that was a busy day

Wow it's been a day:

  1. I took the 8:30 bus: I know, I know, waa waa waa all the way home... but hey, it's a matter of what you're used to, and I'm used to my mornings being free until the 2:30pm bus.  This semester which just started, my schedule got flip-flopped.
  2. After the gym, I got off the bus at home and was walking through the bus station when an elderly lady in front of me took a misstep off the curb when she didn't mean to step off the curb at all, and took a nasty fall, blood gushing out of her head and everything.  Myself and another fellow witnessed it, and I told him "stay with her while I get help."  So I ran over and got them to call an ambulance.  As we waited by her side for the ambulance, about three bus station employees filed past saying variations on "There goes Jeff again, pushing old ladies off sidewalks..."  That's pretty funny, as long as they were joking.  Either they know that they can kid around with me, or I have a reputation of ill repute.  Hmmm... 
  3. So then I walked straight to the bus administrative offices, I was planning to anyway, to set up an appointment to give them my page-and-a-half of notes/feedback on ways to improve this town's bus service, because believe you me, it needs major improving.  She told me "Well, I could set up an appointment, or there's a board meeting next Monday that the public's invited to.  "Oh, even better, please write down the time and address."  "OK, but better yet, can I email it to you?  Hey wait a minute... aren't you schoolofhardknox?"  "Uh oh, wow... well, the answer to that question depends on your answer to this question.  Does schoolofhardknox owe you money?"
  4. Then as I made the trek back home, some random lady driving the other direction was honking her horn at me and waving.  Um, hi stranger, yes, agreed, it is a nice day.  Partially the lack of recognition was due to the fact that I just caught a glimpse as she sped by, partially it was since I saw her out of context, which has become so important.  Since I've met 84,000 people in the last few years, if I don't have contextual clues to clue me in.. yeah, guess what-- you're probably a stranger.  OR perhaps I just live in a friendly southern town, and she really WAS a stranger...
  5. And then, as I was walking home from the Greenlink offices, I figured my legs could use a nice seat, so I stopped for a meal at The Overlook Grill halfway home.  After I ate on the patio overlooking the falls, I went inside for something, and a waitress passing by said "Hi Jeff, how are you?"  "Um, good, thanks, sorry but who are you?"  She told me her name (removed from the blog post to protect the innocent) and said "Oh, it's okay, I know, we all know you."  WOW.  That right there made me realize something-- my goal throughout my therapies was to "get back to normal."  But the story of what I've been through is such a gut-wrencher, I'LL NEVER BE "NORMAL."  And that's a good thing, if I can hopefully inspire others to always try to rise above their disabilities.  Because face it, we ALL have disabilities, we just don't have names for all of them.
  6. AND THEN, I walked along the Swamp Rabbit Trail along the riverside to the zoo.  (and learned an important life lesson: before walking almost a mile, DO NOT drink 3 Diet Cokes)  I got to the zoo and found a child there hopping around some rocks at the base of a tree.  I said "Sir, please don't do that, it's very dangerous."  The mom gave me a thumb's-up, and I rushed to the bathroom.  After I came out, I was right behind them on the trail again, so I asked the mom if I could deliver a warning about that behavior.  She said sure, so: "Sir, let me tell you about the dangers of playing on rocks.  I was doing that, when my foot slipped and I hit my head so hard I entered a five-week coma.  Do you know what a coma is?  <"no">  It's when you're asleep and you can't wake up.  I couldn't do ANYTHING, I couldn't even breathe on my own.  See this scar?    That's where the hospital had to breathe for me, I couldn't even breathe on my own.  So, just please be careful."  Yeah, I know I know, not really, but when you have as useful a tool as a tracheotomy scar and they're not gonna know the difference, (unless they read this blog, uh oh) why not put the scar so painfully won in battle to good use?
  7. AND THEN, I go to Publix to get my notebook for class that starts tomorrow.  I walk in, a bell goes off and everyone starts cheering & clapping.  I figured it wasn't for me, since they were all looking the other way.  So I asked a manager standing nearby what was that all about?  It was some charity thing.  But, she said, we're getting those vitamins you asked for.  HOLY HECK, HOW'D YOU KNOW THAT WAS ME?  "Well, when you asked for them and I couldn't find them in our computer, then when you came back you brought a bottle so I could scan the UPC.  No one ever does that, it made an impression."  (it was the Publix brand of vitamins being sold at Publix, thus the cheapest, thus "START STOCKING AGAIN!")


It's 10:44, I just finished dinner, and now I'm going to make sure all my stuff is packed for school tomorrow.  WHEW...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network