Monday, January 17, 2011

it's fun being 3.5 again

And this time around, I have enough sense & awareness that I can recognize I'm having fun, and that that is important!  (like the recent snow-tubing incident)

So this Festivus, I got a table coaster, and it says "WHAT IF THE HOKEY POKEY REALLY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT?"  Ha!  Good call!  What if it is?  And after having the coaster on my living room table for two weeks, (well, I live in a studio apartment, so maybe that should be "on my... room table") I was looking at it, and thought "You know, actually, I don't know what the hokey pokey is."  So I emailed my parents-- "What would ya say the hokey pokey is?"  They simply pointed me to Youtube.  I got the email on my cell phone while I was sitting in a local coffee shop.  Since Android phones also include Youtube, I was able to play it right there.  So I walked over to a table of the younger crowd, (I knew some of them as coffee shop employees) and asked them to watch and ensure I did the steps correctly.  (boy did they get a kick out of that)  And it occurred to me-- the dang lyrics have always been wrong!  I can't figure out what the hokey pokey step actually IS!  "You put your XYZ in, you put your XYZ out, you put your XYZ in and you shake it all about!"  Okay, good so far.  "You do the hokey pokey AND  you turn yourself around..."  Okay, stop right there.  The way I know "and" is that it conjoins two things.  So when I asked what you do at "you do the hokey pokey" the answer was "you turn yourself around."  So then THAT MEANS that the lyrics equate to "you turn yourself around, and you turn yourself around."  DUDE, I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME!  Doesn't this bother anyone that we're teaching tomorrow's leaders that it's OK to turn off their ears the first time?  "It doesn't really count or matter unless it gets repeated."

And then a new friend-in-the-making randomly sent me the all time classic: MAHNA MAHNA.  It's possible for anyone to feel what it's like to be a kid again.  What fun silliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here. In an ideal world, it would reference the post above...

Hide -n- go seek

Profile for CacheDeal

In between Q & S is Arrr!

My pirate name is:
Captain Jack Kidd
Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!
Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network